Re: origin of comets

drgay (dgray@justin-siena.napanet.net)
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 22:22:41 -0800

Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 22:22:41 -0800
From: drgay <dgray@justin-siena.napanet.net>
To: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>, pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: origin of comets

Thanks Paul for the info on comets and the oort cloud.
This business with water is fascinating: lots of it here on Earth and
out in the comets, but not much in between! (Is there?) Why for
instance doesn't Mars have vast frozen seas? Would it all sublimate
away to space?

I'm still a little skeptical about the Oort cloud since its existence
comes from extrapolation and assumptions about uniformity. It seems
that in Astronomy we're often surprised when we get a look at what's
really out there each time a new telescope or type of telesope goes into
action to bring us new evidence. That for me makes it such an exciting
field.

Dan Gray
dgray@justin-siena.napanet.net