re: Evolution and a big magnet; calorimeter

Brenda Mitchell (bren.mitch@cnhec.concord.k12.nh.us)
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 20:27:41 -0500

To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: bren.mitch@cnhec.concord.k12.nh.us (Brenda Mitchell)
Subject: re: Evolution and a big magnet; calorimeter
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 20:27:41 -0500

Not on this particular topic, but . . . I believe that the theory of
punctuated equilibrium (natural selection variation) counts on major
geological upheavals to produce spurts of exticntion/speciation. The idea
is that this would be followed by a period of stability with little change.

Re. Calorimeter--most sci textbooks have the old soda can with 100 ml of
water standby--you burn the food under the can and measure the change in
temp of the water. A bent coathanger can hold the can up and suspend the
food item under it. I've done it with peanuts and marshmallows. Check
Energy '88 for a good write up if you can get a copy. I have also seen it
in older health/bio texts.
Hope this helps