Re: Calorimeter

Peter Geschke (pgeschke@inow.com)
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 01:56:29 -0700

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 01:56:29 -0700
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: pgeschke@inow.com (Peter Geschke)
Subject: Re: Calorimeter

At 12:36 AM 4/13/97, Pinhole Listserv wrote:
>I'm curious about non-sugar sweeteners, such as Sweet'n Low. The
>main ingredient is calcium saccharin. I tried burning some and, although
>it was difficult, I did get some to burn. The package says zero calories.
>Does this imply that some materials, and possibly some foods, will give
>an artificially high calorie count in an calorimeter because, although they
>will burn, the body will not use them?
>
>John
>***************************************
>* John C. and Jan H. Lahr *
>* jlahr@polarnet.com *
>* P.O. Box 83245, Fairbanks, AK 99708 *
>* (907) 474-7997 *
>* http://www2.polarnet.com/~lahr *
>* http://giseis.alaska.edu/Input/lahr *

If I'm not mistaken, a food Calorie = 1000 calories. Thus although you got
it to burn (and now I'll have to try that!) it just isn't putting out
enough heat to make the "Nutrition Information" standard!

Pete

pgeschke@inow.com http://www2.inow.com/~pgeschke/hmpg.html
peterg7@home.com MSJ Web: http://www.infolane.com/msjhs
Matthew Peter's dad: Born Wed. Apr 9 at 9 AM - 7 lbs 11 oz, 21 in!