Summer opportunity for stud

G Horne (g_horne@sttheresa.pvt.k12.ca.us)
28 Apr 1997 12:43:14 -0700

Date: 28 Apr 1997 12:43:14 -0700
From: "G Horne" <g_horne@sttheresa.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Summer opportunity for stud
To: "TI ALUMS AND STAFF" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>

4/29/97 12:29 PM

A T T E N T I O N ! ! !

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!!

EXCELLENT OPPORTUNTITY FOR 10TH AND 11TH GRADE SCIENCE STUDENTS!

The Summer Science Program is a 39 year old astronomy camp located in Ojai,
California near Santa Barbara. This distinguished program has produced top
scientists and astronomers of our time.

Founded by George Abel, and now run by a JPL astonomer, the Summer Science
Program has been a place where rising juniors and seniors can learn
astronomy, physics, and calculus in a 6-week boarding program, meet visiting
scientists like Sally Ride, Alan Sandage, Maartin Schmidt, Paul MacCready,
the Amazing Randii and others, and work on a very real and challenging
research project.

Alumni of SSP consistently go to top colleges. 8% went to MIT. 70% go to
either Stanford, Harvard, Berkely, Cal Tech, Harvey Mudd, UCLA, Amherst,
Haverford, Brown, Cornell, Pomona, Princeton, Rice or Yale. Graduates of the
program consistently single out SSP as one of the most rewarding and
meaningful summers of their lives.

On a personal note, I have been associated with the program for over 5 years,
and it never ceases to amaze me how many former students tell me that their
lives were changed by SSP.

This year, due to the absence of a critical advertising source, the Summer
Science Program is under-enrolled. This means that there is still time for
interested students to apply. The cost for 6 weeks is $1600, however
financial aid is available to anyone who needs it, and admissions is
needs-blind.

Please encourage your current 10th and 11th graders to take part in this
program. It is truly a life altering experience.

Students must apply by May 30th, so hurry!

Contact me directly at g_horne@sttheresa.pvt.k12.ca.us for an application or
more information. You can also find the SSP web page
http://www.thacher.org/ssp/index.html
for more details.

Thank you very much

Special