Hands-On Universe workshop

R and D Lohman (roaminlohman@telis.org)
Tue, 13 May 1997 19:46:54 -0800

Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 19:46:54 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: roaminlohman@telis.org (R and D Lohman)
Subject: Hands-On Universe workshop

Exploratorium colleagues (Pinholers):

For those of you who haven't already made a commitment for the summer or
still have a week of space in your time I'd like to invite you to
participate in a "hands-on" workshop in astronomy. The workshop is
sponsored by HANDS-ON UNIVERSE, a program funded through NSF. I will be
leading two workshops in the Bay Area this summer: July 7 - 11 (in Albany,
just north of Berkeley) and August 11 - 15 (at Sonoma State Univ).

I have been using the HOU curriculum in my physics classes for the past 4
years and have found it a wonderful addition. Students enjoy the
opportunity to use computers to do real-world astronomy. They process data
from real astronomical images using image processing software. They also
have the ability to request images from a large HOU archive as well as from
several telescopes around the country.

You can see more about HOU on our WWW web page (http://hou.lbl.gov). You
can also register for either of the workshops on the web page. But please
feel free to write me on email (roaminlohman@telis.org) or call me at my
home (510-527-6805) if you have questions of any nature. There is a yearly
user fee of $250 (for ongoing support of you as the teacher, for software
upgrades and for access to our telescopes) which, in most cases, school
districts pay. However, there is also a teacher stipend of $300 for each
participant in the workshops.

Hope to hear from you.

Rich Lohman (roaminlohman@telis.org). I teach at Albany High School where
the July workshop will be held. I know some of you from the Exploratorium
4 week TI workshop in Physics during the summer of 1995.