Re:Reflecting on reflections

Dan Gray (dgray@justin-siena.napanet.net)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:13:26 -0700

Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:13:26 -0700
From: Dan Gray <dgray@justin-siena.napanet.net>
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re:Reflecting on reflections

Dave:
You are quite right. The horizontal distance makes no difference to the
size of a mirror needed to reflect yourself. Think about it this way:
Light must travel from your toes to your eyes in order for you to see
your toes. At the half way point of the light's journey, it will be
half way up between your toes and eyes. This half way point is where
the mirror is located, since half of the light's journey is travelling
to the mirror and half is travelling from the mirror back to you. So no
matter how far away the mirror is, the light (from your toes) that
bounce off of the mirror at a point that is half way up from your toes
to your eyes is the light that will reflect into your eyes. The same
works for the light from the top of your head. It will travel half way
down from the top of your head to your eyes, hit the mirror, then travel
the rest of the way down to your eyes. So the minimum height of the
mirror = 1/2 toe to eye distance + 1/2 eye to top of head distance.
Since half of part of your height + half of the rest of your = half of
all of your height, the mirror needs to be at least 1/2 of your height.

For example, let's say you are 88 cm in height and your eyes are located
80 cm above your toes and 8 cm below the top of your head. The light
from your toes that hits the mirror 40 cm below your eyes, will reflect
into your eyes. The light from the top of your head that hits the mirror
4 cm above your eyes, will reflect into your eyes. So the mirror's total
minimum height = 44 cm.

There are a couple of ways to shorten the needed mirror height: Use a
convex or concave mirror, or lean toward or away from a plane mirror,
but these violate the parameters of the problem, don't they?
The example of the moon that was given also violates the requirements of
the problem in that the reflection must be that of the observer, not
some other object. Not to mention that the mirror in a reflecting
telescope is concave, not planar.

http://justin-siena.napanet.net/dgray/danhome.htm