Question Leftover

Richard Brooks (richardb@exploratorium.edu)
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 11:58:38 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 11:58:38 -0700 (PDT)
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: Richard Brooks <richardb@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Question Leftover

Dearest Pinholers,
A recent random synapse-firing provoked a memory of a discussion
initiated just a few weeks ago in the the Exploratorium's Classroom kitchen.
It goes a little somethin' like this: there is anecdotal evidence* that
stainless steel has some effect of reducing the scent of garlic. Does
anyone know how empirically verifiable this has proven to be? (And a
slightly related question: freshly scrubbed stainless steel has a distinct
metallic scent--what are the compounds that are actually being smelled?
[And would this have any reaction with the sulfur compounds we smell in
garlic or onion?]) I'm just a bit curious.
Daintily yours,
El Troll

*Is "anecdotal evidence" oxymoronic, or just moronic?...

Richard Brooks, Library Troll
The Exploratorium
3601 Lyon Street
San Francisco, CA 94123