Plate tectonics

geoff ruth (geoffr@eastside.org)
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 13:53:26 -0500

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 13:53:26 -0500
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: geoff ruth <geoffr@eastside.org>
Subject: Plate tectonics

In the coming weeks, I'm going to be doing a unit on plate tectonics. Does
anyone have any ideas about ways to make plate tectonics more tangible and
less abstract? I've thought about modeling plate movements with liquid wax
where the top layer has crusted into a solid, but I'm not sure how well
that would work. I've also thought of doing something like a pudding that
has a skin on the top which can be moved around. But I'd like my lesson
models to be as foolproof and obvious as possible, so any suggestions would
be appreciated.

Thanks!
Geoff Ruth
Geoff Ruth