Matter at absolute zero

R and D Lohman (roaminlohman@telis.org)
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 11:59:17 -0800

Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 11:59:17 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: roaminlohman@telis.org (R and D Lohman)
Subject: Matter at absolute zero

Dear pinholers:

In several of our classes at Albany HS the idea of absolute zero came up.
We've often talked about this temperature being one at which all motion,
even molecular and atomic, ceases. Students were then asking whether
matter could even exist at absolute zero. My thought was that the matter
would be in a condensed form much like a neutron star---where the electrons
are pushed (or pulled?) into the nucleus by the high gravitational force
and combine with protons to form neutrons. In the case of absolute zero
the electrons, having stopped moving, would collapse into the nucleus and
do the same thing.

Any thoughts on the "matter"? (pun intended)

Rich Lohman
roaminlohman@telis.org