Re: Attachments

N. Gronert (ngronert@dcn.davis.ca.us)
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 17:37:55 -0700

Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 17:37:55 -0700
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: ngronert@dcn.davis.ca.us (N. Gronert)
Subject: Re: Attachments

>Since I am not receiving the peanut brittle "enclosure" and I assume no
>one else is either perhaps we need instructions on how to attach files
>(if it is possible) when we post. If not, may I suggest copying the
>text from the file and pasting into the body of the reply. Now I REALLY
>want that recipe!

An attachment is usually saved somewhere on your hard drive. It's nice if
when the computer asks you to save, you save it to the desktop, so it is
easy to locate. If that's not possible, it is saved to a default location,
so run something like "file find" with a key word to find where the
attachment went.

I successfully opened the peanut brittle file on my desktop, but noticed
that formatting and half the text was a gibberish of symbols, but that my
old version of Microsoft Word 5.1 couldn't do better. Next procedure is to
see if you have a program that can open the file with better translators,
so formatting and symbols are translated into something meaningful. I
started a version of Clarisworks, a drawing program, asked that program to
open the peanut brittle file, and that successfully translated all the
information.

It's fairly typical on attachments to have some problems converting them if
you're not using identical programs. My old 5.1 Word version didn't
translate a file which appears to have been written in Word 6.0. Same
things happens with graphics: you need some program that will convert the
attachment into a file you can open. Start the program, ask it to open the
file you're interested in.

To send an attachment, you just find the command which says "Attach file"
in your e-mail program and specify the file name: usually quite simple.
To receive an attachment, you must save it to your computer and open it
with an appropriate program.

And, of course, your suggestion works well: copy information into the body
of the message (usually loses formatting as well).

Good luck! Nancy

Nancy Gronert
e-mail: ngronert@dcn.davis.ca.us