Plate Tectonics

J. Lahr (jlahr@polarnet.com)
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:53:47 -0800

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:53:47 -0800
To: geoffr@eastside.org
From: "J. Lahr" <jlahr@polarnet.com>
Subject: Plate Tectonics

Hello Ruth,

I think your pudding idea sounds good, but I haven't tried anything like
that. Sometimes plate tectonics is described as a soup with dumplings.
The dumplings are like the continents and always float on the top while the
soup comes up, cools, and goes back down. However soup doesn't form a crust
like pudding and magma does.

I've made a wooden model of plate tectonics with sliding ocean floor
represented by a plastic place mat. The place mat(s) emerge from a slot (an
ocean ridge), travel horizontally (creating strike-slip faulting motion),
and sink at a trench (subduction and thrust faulting). Volcanoes are
located above the zone where the plate is 100 km below the surface of the
earth (small bumps on the surface of the model.)

John Lahr
USGS Seismologist, Fairbanks, Alaska

--
* John C. and Jan H. Lahr             *