Re: Matter in a vacuum

Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 12:48:37 -0700

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 12:48:37 -0700
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: Matter in a vacuum

Karen, You mention that matter can appear out of the Higg's field; and
then go on to talk about matter appearing out of a strong electric field.
Does matter appear out of an electric field because of the photons present?
And is there a difference between virtual photons and the ones which we
see? Are the virtual photons kind of the same Heisenberg quirks? Can they
both create matter equally well, and since energy has mass, why are we
making these distinctions? Is it a resonance thing where there can be a
change in the form of energy/matter? Does a Higgs field have a boson?
equivalent to a photon, actually, there are Higg's bosons aren't there?
I apologize for all these questions. You do not have to be my
tutor. Maybe you would be better off suggesting a good book. Sorry. If
you do answer, you can use monosyllabic single words. Anyway, I enjoy these
discussions. My field is physiology and we believe in the "use it or lose
it" theory when it comes to the mind, so this is the sort of thing which
keeps my brain from just resonating with the TV. eiger