Volcano experiments

geoff ruth (geoffr@eastside.org)
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:48:57 -0500

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:48:57 -0500
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: geoff ruth <geoffr@eastside.org>
Subject: Volcano experiments

Hello there.

I am trying to think of some good hands-on experiments to do during my unit
on volcanoes in earth science. One thing I'm thinking of is to show the
shape of different volcanoes by using materials that are of different
viscosities. A really viscous liquid would end up looking like a
stratovolcano, while a less viscous liquid could look like a flood basalt.
So my first question is, what are some good liquids that show marked
differences in density? Ideally they would also be able to 'cool' or freeze
after a while so that they preserved their shape. And ideally they would
not be totally disgusting, sticky things like molasses or honey.

My second question is more general: do any other teachers have good ideas
for experiments involving volcanoes?

Thanks!

-Geoff Ruth
Eastside School