Re: Gender and science

Ian Bleakney (bleekers@ousd.k12.ca.us)
Mon, 27 Aug 1956 20:59:46 +0000

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 1956 20:59:46 +0000
From: Ian Bleakney <bleekers@ousd.k12.ca.us>
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: Gender and science

This is a posting in response to Steve, Linda and Suzy's discussions on
gender in science and science classrooms.

I am a high school science instructor and definitely am conscious of the
fact that the young men and women in my classroom do not receive equal
treatment from me. This is even despite my extreme caution in this
area.

Steve Eiger was really making two arguments to account for the gender
inequities in science in his posting - both the "nature" argument
(genetic predisposition) and the "nurture" argument (Schools, TV etc).
It is my belief that it is a little of both that gives us what we have
today - gads of male engineers and physicists and a lot of female nurses
and biologists. There is little or nothing we can do about the genetic
differences between the sexes, but I believe there is a role to be
played in shaping the environment we provide for our children. I am
interested in learning about more ideas!

It should also be noted that racial differences on this gender issue
exist as well. For example, the African American females in my classes
are quite confident and outspoken (to make a vast generalization). They
are just as likely (if not more so) to answer a question in class or
dominate group work.

I am happy we are having this discussion.

Ian Bleakney
Oakland