Re: Pinhole Daily Digest

blohman@coastside.net
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 20:55:59 -0800

From: blohman@coastside.net
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 20:55:59 -0800
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Daily Digest

This is an interesting discussion and I have to weigh in because you
mentioned the genetic aspect and sex. I think that it is very easy to
become muddled in our thinking in this area. We need to be quite sure about
what we do and don't know:
we do know that academic ability is partially genetic
we don't know how much is genetic or whether that is really knowable
we certainly don't know if interests are genetic
we don't know how sex relates to interests and academic ability
We don't know much!!
As teachers we have a responsibility to know that we don't treat everyone
equally. We don't even approach it. We vary our responses totally on the
individual student. It doesn't matter as much which sex has their hand up
in my classroom as which person. There are many students who don't need to
be called on in class. They need something altogether different. They need
a special look or a quiet comment to let them know that you know that they
are there and that you care (I know that I am skating close to corny but its
true) about what they are doing. Please notice that I didn't say anything
about sex here. It should not be the first, second or even third thing that
we think about. If we understood more about what causes the inequities then
we could address them but at this time I think that we can do more harm than
good by trying too hard to 'fix' things.
I have 2 daughters and a son. One daughter is a Senior at Caltech majoring
in Geology and the other daughter is a Sophomore Chemistry major at
Berkeley. I have no idea why they are both in physical sciences. I think
that its because my husband and I didn't get in their way and neither did
their teachers. We didn't expect their interests to lie in one narrow area.
We taught them that all areas of knowledge are worthwhile and so they could
travel in the direction that interested them most at the time. My son is
still in high school looking around.
All middle-aged women in mathematics or science can tell stories of the
discouragement that they received from family, teachers, and/or society. A
great deal of energy went into keeping us in the right places. We have only
begun to free girls; let's not speculate on where their interests or
abilities lie until we have real facts. Social change is not fast, it
requires generations. I refuse to believe that we must in any way damage or
limit young men in order to liberate young women.