Weather questions

geoff ruth (geoffr@eastside.org)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 11:54:18 -0600

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 11:54:18 -0600
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: geoff ruth <geoffr@eastside.org>
Subject: Weather questions

A couple reference questions about some earth-science related things:

-Do any of you know of good books to read (for me, not for students) that
explain how atmosphere or weather or climate things work on a conceptually
logical level?

-Same thing for oceans and oceanography.

-I don't understand how El Nino is supposed to work. It has something to do
with a certain kind of ocean wave that rolls across the Pacific, when then
affects warm water upwelling, which then somehow affects climate patterns
through the whole world? Somehow the causal connections seem sketchy to me.
Do any of you have suggestions about where to find an explanation of this
pattern that actually makes sense?

Eastside School
2101 Pulgas Avenue
East Palo Alto, CA 94303