Re: rising up to meet the sky

geoff ruth (geoffr@eastside.org)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 17:12:27 -0600

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 17:12:27 -0600
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: geoff ruth <geoffr@eastside.org>
Subject: Re: rising up to meet the sky

Paul,

I tried to do this experiment. (I didn't actually get my head halfway under
water, but I got pretty close.) I thought that the air and water looked
more even this way, but someone else I was with thought that it still
looked like there was more ocean. So perhaps that means that it has a lot
to do with individual perception and visual orientation rather than with a
physical or physiological variable.

>I propose an experiment.
>Lower your eye until it is level with the ocean.
>What do you see now?
>
>This experiment will allow you to find out how important eye height above
>the water is in creating the perception that the ocean rises.
>
>Paul D

Geoff Ruth
Eastside School
2101 Pulgas Avenue