Re: Vectors

rahbar@ALPHA.NSULA.EDU
Thu, 04 Dec 1997 22:25:42 -0600 (CST)

Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 22:25:42 -0600 (CST)
From: rahbar@ALPHA.NSULA.EDU
Subject: Re: Vectors
To: Pinhole Listserv <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>

Wait a minute, before you go any farther I need to correct Mr. Marc
Afifi comment about the Eq. PE=mgh.
In this Eq. g is NOT the only vector. If it was then PE (the potential
energy) would be a vector. The true story is that Work= the dot product of
two vectors, namely Force and displacement (W=FDcos(alpha)). As a result
the work is a scalar quantity. And also work = -PE, therefore in the Eq.
PE=mgh, mg is the force, h is the displacement and the angle alpha is
either 0 or 180 deg. depending on the direction of motion. If there is
any questoin, please let me know. A. Rahbar from Louisiana.