Re:"Theory of Evolution"

Karen Kalumuck (karenk@exploratorium.edu)
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 13:50:19 -0800

Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 13:50:19 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: karenk@exploratorium.edu (Karen Kalumuck)
Subject: Re:"Theory of Evolution"

I agree with Ellen's comment on the publice understanding "theory"
in "theory of evolution"; many words common to science are used routinely
in the vernacular and the meanings in the two contexts can widely differ.
Not only "theory" but "evolution" is misunderstood by the general public;
"evolution" merely means change. Evolution in this context is a fact
which we can list numerous examples, such as the develoment of antibiotic
resistance in bacteria. What is hotly debated in some circles about
"evolution" is not so much the change issue, but the mechanism of
evolution.
Hope to see many of you on January 17th!

---Karen K.

>re. reading/writing skills in science and Richard's idea -- wouldn't it be
>nice if the general public understood the scientific meaning of the word
>"theory" as in "Theory of Evolution"?
>
>Ellen Koivisto
>George Washington High School
>gthompso@ccsf.cc.ca.us