Re: Re: Advanced Integrated Science thread

NFetter (NFetter@aol.com)
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 18:50:01 EST

From: NFetter <NFetter@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 18:50:01 EST
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: Re: Advanced Integrated Science thread

Hi Eiger,
Gee, here are again! I agree the A.P. Biology material is too big and should
be broken up into and A and B sections, one of which should be molecular
biology. Students should have the option of taking one or both sections as is
done in the "C" version of A.P. Physics. I find that A.P. Physics "C" fits
nicely into our academic year, but A. P. Chemistry requires 6 meetings per
week plus separate lab sections. My students are always are willing go along
with this scheme, even though it takes quite a bit of extra time on Friday
afternoon. I do not teach either of these courses to the test, but I do keep
in mind the subjects that are suggested in the "Acorn Book". In A.P. Chemistry
I require my students to do a chemical demonstration before the A.P. class in
in front of my Honors Chem. section. This exercise is a great learning
experience. I hope we will meet on January 17th.
Neil Fetter