Re: rotation of Earth

NFetter (NFetter@aol.com)
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 19:18:47 EST

From: NFetter <NFetter@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 19:18:47 EST
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: rotation of Earth

Hi Suzy,
Here's my opinion about Earth rotation. Our atmosphere moves along with the
Earth, so the is no atmospheric friction. If the atmosphere did not move along
wit the Earth, the winds at the Equator, would be about 1000 miles per hour.
The gravitational interaction between the Earth and Moon that causes ocean
tides, absorbs some of the Earth's rotational energy, so our days are getting
longer (I know, it just seems that way). Since the Moon is not a synchonous
Earth satellite, my guess is that must rotate, because we always see the same
side of the Moon.
Neil Fetter