Re: magnet workshop

Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:24:03 -0800

Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:24:03 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: pauld@exploratorium.edu (Paul Doherty)
Subject: Re: magnet workshop

Don

You are on the right track.
The magnet magnetizes the iron filings so the iron filings become magnets
and so interact wit each other.
The result is that iron filings attract each other end to end (NS NS NS
...)and repel each other side to side NS
NS this is why the filings organize
themselves into line-like arcs from one pole to another, and also why the
lines are separated from each other.

Indeed a weak magnet can be made stronger by placing iron near it. This was
often done in the old days when all we had were weak magnets.

Iron filings placed between two lines of iron filings would be repelled by
the lines.

In general the magnetic field of the filings simply adds to the field of
the magnet that aligned them. If the creating maget is weak its strength
can be changed by the field from the filings.

Paul D