Another question

geoff ruth (geoffr@eastside.org)
Wed, 01 Apr 1998 11:10:55 -0600

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 11:10:55 -0600
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: geoff ruth <geoffr@eastside.org>
Subject: Another question

Thanks Paul for your clear answer to my pressure question.

I also have another question that a student raised, which I forgot to
include in my first e-mail. Ozone molecules form naturally about 45 km
above the earth's surface when UV light splits O2 molecules and they
combine with O2 molecules to form O3. The student's question was why the
ozone layer doesn't continually get thicker as this process continues.
(Obviously, CFC's and other human chemicals are breaking down the ozone.)
But what is the natural process that breaks down ozone molecules?

On a related note, why is it that ozone only forms at that particular point
in the atmosphere? Why not in all parts of the atm?

I've tried finding answers to these questions in books, but so far without
luck.

-Geoff