Re: Pinhole Daily Digest

robblack@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 07 Apr 1998 22:29:03 +0000

From: robblack@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 22:29:03 +0000
To: Pinhole Listserv <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Daily Digest

To Burt,

Regarding accelerometers.

I almost have one perfected! Start with a sandwich sized ziplock bag.
Have the students cut out a piece of cardboard that will just fit
inside. On one side glue a photocopy of a protractor, upside-down. From
the center top hang a washer from a thread. Staple a scrap of cardboard
on the bottom so that it allows the washer to swing freely inside the
bag. This side can be used to measure angles.

Now comes the tricky part-peel an old golf ball (does somebody need
extra credit?). I can't remember if Spalding or Titlest is the type you
want-whichever still uses a rubberband type wrapping (it stretches
better than an ordinary rubberband). Each student will need a piece-if
you are careful, the one ball will last through a couple years worth of
classes. Have the students hang 3 fishing weights (I like the 1/2 oz
flattened type) from the rubberband and mark an arc across the board as
it is tilted. Repeat with 2 weights, and finally with one. Secure the
rubberband with one weight. The accelorometer is a bit easier to read
if the students color these arcs different colors.

Now the entire setup is put back into the ziplock. I have the students
put their packets inside when they ride the water rides, a pencil fits,
too.

Punch a hole through a corner and knot a large rubberband through to be
used as a tether.

Last year I finally figured out to place each team's tickets into the
accelerometer so there was only the one item to distribute upon arrival.

Hope this makes sense. If you need better instructions leave a message
Wednesday-I'm off to Maui. (408) 353-3386

Heidi Strahm Black
robblack@ix.netcom.com