Re: pinhole cameras

Gene Thompson (gthompso@ccsf.cc.ca.us)
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 13:02:44 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 13:02:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gene Thompson <gthompso@ccsf.cc.ca.us>
To: Pinhole Listserv <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole cameras

I do pinhole cameras every year for my Physical Science classes. I'm in
SF, so go to Adolph Gassers, but any decent camera store should have the
supplies (the stores that have equipment for developing prints). You need
photographic paper (I often get an Eastern European brand, which is the
cheapest), developer and fixer -- the people at the store can help you.
You need four trays when doing the developing (minimum): the first holds
the developer, the second water for rinsing, the third fixer, and the last
water for rinsing any remaining chemicals off. I usually have 2 set ups,
and put the last tray in my sink so I can keep running water going over
the prints (in case of bad rinsing jobs by the students). I have three
red light bulbs in plug-in sockets around the walls of my room.

What else? Do you remember about the times? Sunny outside pix are 10-15
sec exposures, inside (with sunlight) about 1 min, inside with minimum
sunlight or none is about 3-5 min. Time in the first tray until you begin
to see details clearly (about 1-2 minutes, max), rinse well in water, then
you can leave it in the fixer until you have time to move it into the last
water bath.

Remember to have the students put their initials lightly on the back of
the paper in pencil -- pen runs, and if it's not light the writing will be
seen on the photo.

Did that help any?

Ellen Koivisto
George Washington High School