Re: re Specific Heat

Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:21:59 -0600

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:21:59 -0600
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: re Specific Heat

Neil, I am checking on water structure in a biochemistry text as I thought
your guess on the strength of hydrogen bonds was a bit high. This text
gives ~ 20kJ/mole as the energy of a hydrogen bond in water (I had
remembered 27 or 37, but they might have been different units). It also
states that liquid water is 15% less hydrogen bonded than ice, and points
out the distorted and fluctuating structure of the hydrogen bonding in
liquid water makes it not only interesting stuff but also highly difficult
to describe. Now I have gotten quite interested in this so I am trying to
contact some experts I know. Paul, David Chandler who used to be in the
Berkeley Chemistry Department has worked on the structure of water. I will
try someone else I know.

Steven Eiger, Ph.D.

Departments of Biology and the WWAMI Medical Education Program
Montana State University - Bozeman
Bozeman, MT 59717-3460

Voice: (406) 994-5672
E-mail: eiger@montana.edu