Chaos

geoff ruth (geoffr@eastside.org)
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:09:07 -0500

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:09:07 -0500
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: geoff ruth <geoffr@eastside.org>
Subject: Chaos

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to teach my students about chaotic dynamics
in meteorology. To do this, I'm first teaching a bit about the normative
deterministic method that science uses, and then I'm going to try to
contrast this with chaotic systems. Anyway, does anyone know of any simple
experiments/demos to do to show a chaotic system? There's the chaotic
pendulum at the Exploratorium, but I don't think I can build one that has
low enough friction in the bearings/connections. Any ideas of something
that can demonstrate chaotic dependence on initial conditions?

Geoff Ruth
Eastside School
2101 Pulgas Avenue
East Palo Alto, CA 94303