Re: Re: re Specific Heat

NFetter (NFetter@aol.com)
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 19:40:13 EDT

From: NFetter <NFetter@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 19:40:13 EDT
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: Re: re Specific Heat

Hi Steve,
Several years ago there was an article in Scientific American explaining how a
microwave oven works. The authors said that the energy of the microwaves that
are used to heat water cannot break covalent hydrogen-oxygen bonds, but could
break hydrogen bonds in liquid water. The also suggested that liquid water
exists primarily as trimers in the liquid state and that once a microwave
photon broke a hydrogen bond, one of the water molecules begins to spin, thus
giving the water kinetic energy.
If you can't find the article. let me know and I can send you a copy of it.
Neil Fetter