Re: Chaos

geoff ruth (geoffr@eastside.org)
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 11:22:55 -0500

Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 11:22:55 -0500
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: geoff ruth <geoffr@eastside.org>
Subject: Re: Chaos

Paul,

You said that the drops will fall at random intervals. Is that accurate? I
thought there was a distinction between randomness and chaos -- it's not
random in the sense that the drops are responding to discernible gravity
laws and there may be some macro-scale patterns that appear, but on a close
level it's impossible to predict what they'll do. As an analogy, a fractal
picture definitely has order to it, but on a closer scale also has some
chaos to it. Am I using these words correctly?

On a different note, does anyone know why a car engine quietly creaks after
it's turned off. Obviously it has to do with the metal contracting, but
what causes the regular 'ticking' pattern that comes from the metal?

>Geoff
>
>In addition to Neil's comment:
>The water stream will break into drops,
>at some flow rates the drops will be regularly spaced in time, at other,
>very slow flow rates the drops will drip at random intervals.
>
>Paul D

Geoff Ruth
Eastside School
2101 Pulgas Avenue