Re: Re: re Specific Heat

Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Sat, 2 May 1998 15:51:29 -0600

Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 15:51:29 -0600
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: Re: re Specific Heat

Montana here,
You are absolutely right, if solid water sunk we would be an ice planet,
with a thin surface of lizuid. A chemist once told me that if a little bit
of alcohol is added to liquid water it shrinks. Pretty odd - you add
something and it gets smaller. Water is certainly about the coolest
substance to explore. I am continually learning about it all the time.

>Once again, YO Montana
>
>Water is unusual. Our planet supports 3 form of it.
>
>As a liquid, 27 molecules occuppy on specific volume. For all that you say,
>only 24 molecules may occuppy the same space at zero centrigrade or less.
>
>This is a denisity problem I try to explore, cuz what if ice sank in ponds and
>rivers and oceans. Really, what would your students respond to the procession
>of life and evolution???
>
>Have you tried the Pepsi and Diet-Pepsi experiment/demonstration activity
>whilch clearkt shows that denisty matters???

Steven Eiger, Ph.D.

Departments of Biology and the WWAMI Medical Education Program
Montana State University - Bozeman
Bozeman, MT 59717-3460

Voice: (406) 994-5672
E-mail: eiger@montana.edu