Re: Meteorology questions

geoff ruth (geoffr@eastside.org)
Tue, 05 May 1998 03:56:55 -0500

Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 03:56:55 -0500
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: geoff ruth <geoffr@eastside.org>
Subject: Re: Meteorology questions

>I know why clouds can be irregularly shaped. Why are cumulonimbus clouds
flat
>on the bottom?

The flat bottoms of clouds represents the condensation level, or the
altitude when the air temperature drops enough that the water vapor
concentration is saturated and the H20 begins to condense into cloud
droplets. I think of cloud bottoms as visually showing a certain line of
constant temperature across the sky at which the air first becomes
saturated with H2O vapor.

>Actually, while I'm at it, one more question.
>
>In air, turbulence is caused by density differences (hot air rising and cold
>air sinking). Some turbulence can be predicted based on weather and terrain.
>Where does clear air turbulence come from? What causes the density
>differences to form in a clear sky away from weather fronts over flat open
>terrain like Kansas?

Does this have to do with high altitude winds like the jet stream?
Geoff Ruth
Eastside School
2101 Pulgas Avenue
East Palo Alto, CA 94303