Re: Physics Lab Classroom Plans

SFPhysics (SFPhysics@aol.com)
Mon, 11 May 1998 20:46:26 EDT

From: SFPhysics <SFPhysics@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 20:46:26 EDT
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: Physics Lab Classroom Plans

Dear Ellen Koivisto -

I saw your poorly supported Physics lab during the last District conclave.
The funds for building an entirely new science wing at Mission High have come
from several sources that our socioeconomic area problems have allowed us to
tap and from the Prop A funds. We are looking at spending just under a
million for refurbashing. Your students always score well on state tests and
probably don't trigger the funding deluge from the specially funded projects.
The schools on the west side of the City have been underfunded for some time
while the Consent Decree funds on the east side of town have done well.

After the initial shock of having to come up with a lab plan wore off, I came
up with the following suggestions for our completely new science building
Physics facility.

Here is what I asked for:

Enough benches for 32 students. Each bench to have 110VAC, variable low
voltage AC and DC, regulated compressed air, water, gas, lockable storage, and
attached sinks. Benches will be 8' minimum with epoxy composition surfaces
(one of a number of great suggestions from Ray Lewis at Benicia High). A
student safety goggle storage and sterilization station along with eye washes
are incorporated. This all has been granted but with SFUSD I'll believe it
when I see it.

The lab is to be light tight for all optics and light experiments and there
will be safelights when using photographic paper. A photographic sink is to
be installed for processing all of those "pinhole" camera prints, making
printed circuits, and developing radiation "fog" prints, etc..

A fabrication room is in the plans. This room will have a metal lathe, a spot
welder, a drill press, a bar folder, slip rolls, a hand brake, and other tools
for the students to make their own demonstration aparatus.

The demonstration/lecture area has a fume hood, a LAN connection, wall mounts
for TV/VCR, a built-in projection screen for AV, and all of the same utilities
as the student stations. A lab refrigerator with ice maker is tucked into a
corner. Electrical conduit goes to the roof for meteorological
instrumentation. I asked for raised stadium seating but was turned down
because it limited wheelchair access.

We are budgeted to receive a completely new set of student and teacher lab
materials and equipment. This will be everything from force tables through
electrostatics. The Physics in Technology program is being looked at for
inclusion into the lab.

In all, the Science Department will be getting some 14 new rooms. One thing
you learn after 30 years in SFUSD is that when someone important wants a
project done, the money is found. All of our very poor scoring students
certainly draw attention that brings in funding. I hope we can see some very
real gains from all of these expeditures.

All I had asked for was the old electronics room which was huge and very well
suited for a Physics Lab. This was denied when it was decided to go full bore
for the new science wing. The down side of all this mana (sp?) from heaven is
that, typical of SFUSD, the work starts in late August!

Best to the list -

Al Sefl
Mission High Physics
SFPhysics@aol.com

p.s. Did I forget to mention that each science lab will have a minimum of 6
networked computer hookups! Mission High is part of the Digital High Project.