relativistic radio

Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:32:31 -0800

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:32:31 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: relativistic radio

From: Sthammack@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:11:09 EDT
To: Pauld@exploratorium.edu
Subject: You Gotta Know About this

Paul,

I was listening to NPR this morning and heard a very cool story. There is
some guy who invented a new light bulb in which you are able to change
the color of the "white" light.It is like a equalizer is for sound. He is
working with several art museums (one in Rochester, NY; and the current
Van Gogh exhibit in Washington D.C.). He has also found out that people
seem to prefer a certain "color" of white light and is now conducting
research on this question. I think the name of the bulbs are called
"solex". Sounds like a cool exhibit for the Exploratorium and something
the Teacher's Institute might like to show teachers. If you decide to
pursue this let me know what you find out.

Also, some kids asked me what would happen if you were talking to someone
on a radio that was going the speed of light. Would their speech sound
slowed down or sped up? If it would sound normal, why would it sound
normal?

Cheers,
Steve