Teacher position

Monya Baker (monyab@eastside.org)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:09:16 -0600

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:09:16 -0600
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
From: Monya Baker <monyab@eastside.org>
Subject: Teacher position

Hi Pinholers,

My school is hiring another science teacher, and I'm hoping some of you
will be interested. Eastside is in East Palo Alto, a low-income community
of color. Students who chose to come here agree to be at school from 8 to
5. They work hard and they believe education can help them. It's lots of
work but extremely rewarding.

I've attached all the official stuff at the bottom of this e-mail. If
you'd like to chat with me informally, please e-mail me or call me at (415)
681-6035.

If you're not interested yourself, please tell your friends. We might also
be hiring for other subject areas.

Thanks, Monya

Positions: Secondary teachers in math and science
Time commitment: Full-time

Start date: August 1, 1999

Starting salary: $30,000 plus full benefits

Eastside College Preparatory School opened in the fall of 1996 to serve
minority youth in East Palo Alto, California. Eastside was founded in
response to the alarming dropout rate for East Palo Alto students attending
public high schools in Silicon Valley. In 1976, the only high school in
the community closed - subsequently, students have been bused to high
schools in surrounding affluent areas. Poor academic preparation, high
school tracking, cultural alienation, and negative peer pressure have all
combined to create a 65% dropout rate for students.

Eastside School reverses this trend by creating a highly supportive and
academic challenging environment for students. As a small high school
enrolling no more than sixty students, we create an extremely nurturing
atmosphere. Our objective is not only for students to complete high
school, but also for them to be prepared to attend four-year colleges.
Specifically, Eastside makes it a priority to:

· foster a supportive, family - like community of learners
· personalize education for each individual student
· maintain high academic standards through a rigorous curriculum
· provide personalized tutorials and academic attention so that all
students can succeed

Job description:
· develop curriculum and teach in specified subject areas
· tutor students during tutorial periods
· help develop philosophy and direction of the school
· collaborate with all staff on issues of courses, schedule, and programs
offered

Qualifications:
· experience in working with low-income students of color
· willingness to collaborate with staff team on comprehensive issues
regarding the school and its students
· dedication and commitment, as demonstrated through past jobs
· experience in teaching and curriculum development
(those with little teaching experience but strong interest are still
encouraged to apply)

For more information, please contact Chris Bischof at (650) 688-0851 or
Helen Kim at (650) 323-5898 and send a cover letter, resume, and three
references to:
Eastside School
Attn: Teacher search
2101 Pulgas Avenue