query

bliss (swise@lwhs.org)
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:34:51 -0800

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:34:51 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: swise@lwhs.org (bliss)
Subject: query

My students and I have been discussing the general properties of waves,
including their change in velocity when they encounter a different medium.
We know for sure that sound waves INCREASE their velocity after entering
water (a denser medium), and that light waves DECREASE their velocity after
entering water (a denser medium). But we were wondering if this principle
can be generalized to ALL media.

We've looked at the equations for the speed of sound in gases, liquids and
solids and realize that the change in speed is also related to other
factors besides density. But, does anyone know of a specfic example where a
mechanical wave's speed actually decreases when it enters a denser medium?

Thanks -- Sarah Wise

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ

Sarah Wise

Lick-Wilmerding H.S.
755 Ocean Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94112
swise@lick.pvt.k12.ca.us

"Not everything that can be counted counts,
and not everything that counts can be counted."
--Albert Einstein