chain rxn and Roman Numerials ??

Lou Morton (stf-lmorton@vom.com)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 06:43:22 -0800

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 06:43:22 -0800
From: Lou Morton <stf-lmorton@vom.com>
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: chain rxn and Roman Numerials ??

Pinholers,
A fellow teacher of mine says he recalls in college a science teacher
telling him of a fabulous science demo on nuclear chain reactions: A
large number of mouse traps (a room full covering the floor?) and then
tossing a ping-pong ball on them and watching them all go off. Does this
sound familiar to anyone? I would like to try it. If every kid from
every class brought in a pair, perhaps you could do it. Videotaping it
might be a good plan due to the labor involved and to show instant
replays.
If someone has heard of this, or would like brainstorm the idea, I would
like to hear from you.

Another question:
We were discussing Roman Numerials in a math meeting the other day. I
had this recollection of reading somewhere why they were still important
to know. Of course I couldn't cite a reference. Did I dream this up? Is
there a purpose beyond the academic exercise and a historical number
system?

thanks,

Lou Morton, St Francis Solano, Sonoma
e-mail: stf-lmorton@vom.com