Re: Pinhole Digest #167 - 04/20/99

Art Fortgang (afortga@ed.co.sanmateo.ca.us)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 07:38:02 -0700

From: "Art Fortgang" <afortga@ed.co.sanmateo.ca.us>
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #167 - 04/20/99
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 07:38:02 -0700

Sarah

This is new to me. What they may have heard is that Beta decay is the
ejection of a very energetic electron from the Nucleus. This occurs when a
neutron decays and becomes a proton ejecting the electron (and an
anti-neutrino). However the neutron when a neutron in the nucleus is
electrically neutral and remains so thanks to the "weak" nuclear force.

Art