Re: Pinhole Digest #168 - 04/24/99

Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:22:25 -0600

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:22:25 -0600
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #168 - 04/24/99

In regards to the sharpening of razors, it sounds like a clear case of
pseudoscience to me, which means that it has a shred of truth to it. I can
picture a strong magntic field realigning a blade edge. The trouble is
that a lot of things need to be just right, bladws designed especially for
this etc. Those vibrating probe microscopes sharpen their tips, and they
must be the sharpest things on earth, by having it conduct a pulse of
current; I believe this vaporizes the tip off leaving a serendepitiously
sharp bit of remaining material. That ought to be next year's model, the
tunneling shave, where the blade never actually touches your skin (in case
a normal one ever semantically does), Steven Eiger

Steven Eiger, Ph.D.

Departments of Biology and the WWAMI Medical Education Program
Montana State University - Bozeman
Bozeman, MT 59717-3460

Voice: (406) 994-5672
E-mail: eiger@montana.edu