Re: pinhole guys, gals, and probability

Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:07:03 -0600

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:07:03 -0600
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole guys, gals, and probability

Eric, I think I have swung over to your side. I have drawn the square, and
it is true like someone said earlier, that it depends if you are looking at
individuals or families, and I think my criticism of his remarks were
absolutely wrong. As I look at the square, there are twice as many
families with male female mix as female female; but if you are asking women
off the street, then both sisters of a pair will say that she has a sister
sib. Thus in the three allowable squares there are four females to choose
from, and two will have male sibs and two, female. I was choosing squares
as options, when I should have been choosing females; there are twice as
many females to choose from in the all female square. By my flipping sets
of coins I tricked myself into choosing squares, or families. It required
an extra step to see the above
Thanks for keeping the argument going. I tremendously enjoy being
challenged like this. Steve Eiger

Steven Eiger, Ph.D.

Departments of Biology and the WWAMI Medical Education Program
Montana State University - Bozeman
Bozeman, MT 59717-3460

Voice: (406) 994-5672
E-mail: eiger@montana.edu