Re: Pinhole Digest #177 - 05/03/99

Richard White (rwhite@telis.org)
Mon, 03 May 1999 18:29:45 -0700

Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 18:29:45 -0700
From: Richard White <rwhite@telis.org>
To: Pinhole Listserv <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #177 - 05/03/99

I've been interested in having some of my Advanced Placement Physics
students put a Theremin together. A search on the Web turned up the
following address: http://home.att.net/~theremin1/ez/ezcontents.htm
It looks like a fairly comprehensive and well put-together site,
although I'm sorry to say that I haven't had the opportunity to actually
try an of the suggested circuits yet. The good news is that (according
to the author of the site) simple bare-bones Theremin kits can be had
for as little as $100, although that's still a bit beyond the budget of
most of my students. The bad news is that if you really want to do it
up right, there's a fair amount of work involved and a lot of scrounging
for parts, and even at that your Theremin may well end up costing you
several hundreds of dollars....

I saw the Theremin documentary as well -- it was excellent. The Fine
Arts Cinema in Berkeley ran it last year -- sold special Theremin
T-shirts and everything. One of the owners of the theater mentioned
that they plan to show it again at some point.

Richard White
Berkeley High School
Physics, AP Physics