Re: pinhole Mars Magnetism with picture pointer

bliss (swise@lwhs.org)
Tue, 4 May 1999 12:55:25 -0800

Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 12:55:25 -0800
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
From: swise@lwhs.org (bliss)
Subject: Re: pinhole Mars Magnetism with picture pointer

Here's a question from a couple of my top students: We've been discussing
Ohm's law and the fact that some materials are nonohmic. In superconducting
materials, is it true that the statement R=V/I doesn't apply? If this is
true, then is there a more generally applicable definition of resistance
that doesn't rely on voltage and current? How do superconducting materials
fit into these definitions (one of my students, using data from a recent
superconductivity test, used a definition of resistance that R=pL/A and
calculated a resistivity constant that was in the range of typical
insulators -- baffling)?

Sarah Wise

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ

Sarah Wise

Lick-Wilmerding H.S.
755 Ocean Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94112
swise@lick.pvt.k12.ca.us

"Not everything that can be counted counts,
and not everything that counts can be counted."
--Albert Einstein