Re: pinhole Re: Behavior of coins on free-fall rides

Dan (dgray@justin-siena.napanet.net)
Wed, 12 May 1999 23:00:19 -0700

Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 23:00:19 -0700
From: Dan <dgray@justin-siena.napanet.net>
To: Pinhole Listserv <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Re: Behavior of coins on free-fall rides

How about this: while the vehicle is at rest, all of the weight is on the point
of support, whatever that may be. Now, no matter how quick the release process
is, it can't be instantaneous and affect the whole vehicle at the same time.
So I can see the release process exerting slightly different forces on
different parts of the vehicle as it is being released. This could produce
oscillations in the vehicle that could result in the coin getting a slight
relative push upward producing the effect you noticed. What do you think?

Dan Gray
Justin-Siena HS