Parallel Circuits Problem

SFPhysics@aol.com
Sat, 15 May 1999 00:43:07 EDT

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 00:43:07 EDT
Subject: Parallel Circuits Problem
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu

Sarah -

If the resistors in your parallel chain are of low resistance so that the
current is relatively high, the farther away from the power source, the more
your connecting lead resistance comes into play. The small alligator clip
connectors from China that are being sold by numerous sources have such a
small diameter wire that each of them possesses several Ohms of resistance.
The result in a parallel chain is that you have a complex parallel and series
circuit which will require network analysis beyond the simple parallel
circuitry mathematics. I use digital volt meters and my students are
surprised to see that wire too has resistance!

Al Sefl
SFPhysics@aol.com