Doppler rocket telemetry

eric nielsen (entfolks@mwci.net)
Tue, 18 May 1999 12:47:02 -0500

From: "eric nielsen" <entfolks@mwci.net>
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Doppler rocket telemetry
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:47:02 -0500

howdy pinholers --

An offer for collaboration.... I would like to use the Doppler effect to
measure the speeds & calculate the accelerations of model rockets. I plan
on coupling a "personal security alarm" type of screaching device with a
launch-activated digital (chip-based) recorder. One device will be
rocket-mounted; the other device will be ground based. Apparent frequency
can be calculated at (something on the order of) 0.05-0.20 second intervals
for the duration of a roughly 5 second acceleration/coast period -- perhaps
slightly longer for a larger rocket, if additional thrust is needed to get
the device off the ground. I plan on using the freebie frequency analysis
software SPECTROGRAM (download from www.monumental.com/rshorne/gram.html )

I do not have any specific questions, but was simply fishing for folks to
join me in this endeavor -- be it "two heads are better than one,"
"misery loves company," or whatever. Comments always appreciated; if you
wish to correspond with me personally I'm Eric; entfolks@mwci.net or
http://scienceguy.webjump.com