Re: Seismographs

The Lahrs (JohnJan@lahr.org)
Fri, 21 May 1999 07:23:16 -0600

Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 07:23:16 -0600
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
From: The Lahrs <JohnJan@lahr.org>
Subject: Re: Seismographs

Dear Kim,

There are many possibilities for building a simple seismograph. There
is a USGS report available on the web at:

http://www.aeic.alaska.edu/lahr/tabletop/

that describes how to set up a table-top seismology demonstration.
The sensor is a small geophone that can be obtained for free from
one source or for as little as $8 from another. The report includes
a diagram of a easily build, but less sensitive, geophone. Recording
is done on a PC with the help of an analog to digital converter (AD)
sold by DaTaq and Radio Shack for $100. DaTaq may still have some
on sale for $50. An oscilloscope could also be used to display the
seismogram if you have one available.

If you want to build a long period instrument that would actually
record teleseismic earthquakes, then there are lots of directions
on the Public Seismic Network web sites. One of the largest is
in Redwood City, CA: http://psn.quake.net/
If you're interested in this, it would be helpful to sign up for
the PSN mailing list. The members are a friendly source of
information for anyone who is setting up a seismic system.

You can read about my "home" system on this page:
http://www.lahr.org/john-jan/psn/psn.html

Hope this helps!

John

P.S. I'll be demonstrating the table-top system at the Geological
Society of America meeting in Berkeley, Dwinelle Building, Rm 117,
at 10:30 AM, in a session on education.

>Subject: seismographs
>From: kimg@sonic.net (Kim Greco)
>Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:36:09 -0700
>
>Does anyone have a good model for building a simple seismograph for high
>school students, one that would have the basic parts yet not be too
>complicated? I would like to avoid any electronic parts if possible. I
>just need it to demonstrate the basic functions of a seismograph.
>
>Thank you.

* John C. and Jan H. Lahr *
* JohnJan@lahr.org *
* 1925 Foothills Road *