Re: Building a Seismograph

Ronald Wong (ronwong@inreach.com)
Fri, 21 May 1999 13:09:29 -0700

Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 13:09:29 -0700
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: Ronald Wong <ronwong@inreach.com>
Subject: Re: Building a Seismograph

Kim Greco asked:

>Does anyone have a good model for building a simple seismograph for high
>school students, one that would have the basic parts yet not be too
>complicated? I would like to avoid any electronic parts if possible. I
>just need it to demonstrate the basic functions of a seismograph.

Kim:

Well, if no one comes up with a specific model for you to build than:

1. Use a search engine (like AltaVista for instance) and do a boolean search
using "model AND seismograph AND earthquakes" as your boolean expression
for example.

2. Among the results will be the SSA's (Seismological Society Of
America) "Seismology Resource For Teachers".

3. At their home page, click on Seismographs.

You'll find a list in which a number of references involving how to build a
"simple" seisomgraph can be found. Check out the references.

Sorry for not being more specific but I think you may find other things
during your seach that will prove useful in some fashion or another. For
instance, look at the diagrams in the header of the SSA's website. One of
them may be a clue as to what you might build.

Try a different boolean expression. You may find EXACTLY what you want. On
top of that, you may find some additional material that you'll want to
include with this project. Just remember that if there isn't anything on
the first couple of pages of hits, don't waste your time - do another
search using a different search criteria.

Lots of luck.

ron