Re: Inverse Squares and why?

HEIDI STRAHM BLACK (blackh@ognet.esuhsd.net)
Wed, 26 May 1999 08:35:58 +0000

Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 08:35:58 +0000
From: HEIDI STRAHM BLACK <blackh@ognet.esuhsd.net>
To: Pinhole Listserv <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: Inverse Squares and why?

Marc,
OK, maybe we should have answered, "a model for possibly accepting
inverse square as a logical result is.." But then we know that
everything we teach is a model and all models break down at some point
(right PD?). Often my students hear from me that "why?" is a religious
question, occasionally I quip "Because God wanted it that way!" But
once in awhile it is so nice to be able to say, "this is WHY, and isn't
it neat and tidy the way these phenomena can be described
mathematically!" (All this from someone not terribly fond of
mathematics...)
Heidi