Hand-Held Heat Engine

From: Douglas Johnson (danadotdoug@ij.net)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 21:14:14 PDT

In your experiment entitled "Hand-Held Heat Engine" you have shown a device called a "hand boiler" (photo below). When I was growing up my grandfather had one of these, to the great interest of my brother and I. Somewhere along the way it got broken. Over the last thirty years I have never forgotten about it and have always hoped to find one someday. I have never seen it in any of the science-related stores and had assumed that they were no longer being made. It was to my great surprise and joy to see the device featured on your website.

Your article mentioned Edmund's Scientific as a source for this product, but I have been unable to find it through their website. I have sent an e-mail inquiring further. Are you aware of any other sources?

Thank you for your help.

Doug Johnson

 http://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/hand_held/index.html

hand_held_216x162.jpeg