Peripheral Vision

Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 08:44:52 PDT

I was performing the experiments in the article 'Peripheral Vision - We are
not usually aware of our eyes' limitations'. I noticed however, that when I
look at a fixed point in my central vision, but really strongly focus my
brain and attention on an object in my peripheral vision, after an amount
of time the peripheral image scintillates/shimmers a bit like silver water
and I can see the object move rapidly. Please, if you can take the time to
provide an explanation please do ? This is a deliberate practise, and not
something I suffer involuntarily - I am keen to understand why this occurs.

I await your informed response which great anticipation,

yours sincerely,