Polarized light mosaic

From: clayton carkin (science@GWI.net)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 15:07:18 PDT

Hello :
     I am a sixth grade science teacher in Freeport, Maine. I have tried
this type of mosiac with my students and they love doing it as well as
seeing their results. I have teams of 2 creating a 5" by 5" mosiac on a
large piece of plexiglass that fits snugly in the window frame. All students
have pieces of polarized material to check out their handiwork.
   I have seen a mosiac with the forms of animals , boats, planes, and etc.
How can the kids create these forms ?
     Sincerely,
    Clayton A. Carkin, 6th grade science teacher